Sunday, June 28, 2009

Riding in the Middle East - its not all fun in the sun!!

So what is it like riding a bike day in, day out, between 4 to 12 hours per day with temperatures between 30 and low 40s?

The riding kit I wear is the following:

- Leather boots with sports socks
- Cordura pants with plastic hip/knee pads and one air vent on each leg
- Cordura jacket with plastic elbow/shoulder/back pads, one air vent on each arm and two chest vents
- Boardies
- Singlet
- Gloves
- Helmet
- A camel back to enable hydration when riding

I pack the bike wearing boardies and singlet and put the kit on as the last task. As soon as the kit is on, I start sweating (its 30 by 9am) and I jump on the bike for the breeze to cool me. After an hour, I feel the beads of sweat run from my head all the way down to my toes.

The bike is so wide (due to oversize petrol tank) and the windshield not much shorter than me, so most of the wind is blocked. A great way to cool down is to stand up while riding, I can stand up comfortably up to 100km/h and the wind through my kit feels great - So through all towns I stand.

The heat has caused a couple of problems. Sitting down for hours when I am sweating so much has caused a heat rash on my bum so standing is a great way to stop the boardies sticking to me. Feet are like prunes at the end of the day, which has obviously caused a skin issues.

It is going to be consistently low to mid 40s in Jordan and Iran, I think I will be riding at 6am and late at night with a lunchtime siesta.

I have thought about removing some kit but you never know when you are going to stack.

No comments:

Post a Comment