Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Religous police in Antakya

After a couple of beers with a female hotel guest I meet at breakfast in the morning, we got back to the hotel, moved the bike from the street into the foyer of the hotel with the help of the staff. The staff have either no English or limited words and one young kid, speaking abruptly, wanted to go walking with me and wanted the female guest to go to bed. I said politley, no thankyou, we went upstairs and thought it was odd behaviour.

In my room we reviewed my photos, door left open. The young kid came upto the room and rudley started saying something in Turkish and handed me a piece of paper saying "The Marriage Vallet" - now the earlier behaviour makes sense. We moved down to the dining room and continued.

Turkey is a secular state, so I was a little surprised, not sure if it was a hotel policy, province policy or just concerned the staff at the time.

1 comment:

  1. Even in Syria they have the same rules. they don't accept to let a man or a woman to enter the client's room unless they r married, specially not a local with a foreigner. i met a suiss woman biker travelling alone with a bicycle in Syria. in Damascus, the hotel didn't let us go into her room unless we kept the door open and an employee sat on a chair not far from the entrance. it was very shocking.

    ReplyDelete