Sunday, June 28, 2009

Turkey - part 1

Back in Turkey after 8 years, Istanbul was great fun and I visited a few sites I missed last time. Onto Ankara for bike service, Iran visa and Uzbekistan visa. Ankara reminded me of a USA city, with dual lane divided roads everywhere, overpasses/underpasses and no U-turns allowed - not good for visiters, especially me because the U-turn is my signature move in new cities!

Ankara tasks complete I drove down the center of Turkey across wheat fields, over mountains, through gorges - it is a land of contrast. The petrol cost is the highest so far with a 25% tax, I assume the tax is to build new roads. 8 years ago there were only highways around Istanbul, now there are highways and tunnels everywhere, small towns are being linked with roads straight through mountains and pine forests.

I look forward to travelling eastern Turkey after Syria.

1 comment:

  1. What do you mean U turns are your favorite in new cities? Heck you lived in London for years and you were still doing U turns daily!!!!

    jase.

    ReplyDelete