Friday, October 2, 2009

Uzbekistan Tourist Route

I entered from Turkmenistan on the western border and travelled the tourist route across the county and out to Kazakhstan. After months of visiting Mosques I was a little over them but soldiered on and visited some amazing Medressas in Samarkand.

I enjoyed the tourist route where I met the same interesting people at different towns along the route. It was the travellers I met that made Uzbekistan interesting. ;-)

As you would expect of a “Stan” there was plenty of corruption in the Police Force. I paid US$5 for speeding 20km/h over the limit, the bidding started at US$200. Unlike local drivers, I was pulled over for rolling through a police checkpoint, after a few heated words I ignored the policeman and started to make my lunch – 5min later he signal to leave, no bribe paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment