Sunday, September 13, 2009

Guide or Lonely Planet

In Turkmenistan there are two visas, transit or tourist. I wanted to see several sights on the Silk Road and the transit visa only enables point A to B between countries. I had a guide riding on the back of the bike for 5 days. The guide meant I did not have to ask for directions, order food, have problems at the borders, or even met the locals. I never got lost or had any hassle - we easily travelled between tourist sites.

On reflection, travelling with a guide is not for me, getting lost and asking for directions is all part of travelling and enables you to meet people. The Lonely Planet guide is all I need.

1 comment:

  1. Hi mate, have been travelling the world with you tonight (from the comfort of rainy Melbourne) and have looked at all your amazing photos... looks like you are having a super time and I am just amazed at all the places you have been! Some of the shots look so bloody hot and uncomfortable, can't help but wonder how you are going with all the bike gear on? (hot, hot, hot!). Stay safe, wish we could be there with you, instead we are at home with the stupid Brownlow count on the TV. Call us soon! Love, Nat

    ReplyDelete