Friday, October 2, 2009

Kazakhstan – bloody dodgy!!!

I have experience and confidence in dealing with corrupt officials but my first night in Kazakhstan left me angry and now nervous of the police.

After a long day crossing the border from Uzbekistan to Kazakhstan I left the bike at the hotel and raced to the bank for some local currency, then proceeded to the restaurant along the main street of Shymkent. I was stopped by two boys in army greens and 2 policemen who wanted to check my passport and visa. Passport was in hotel and so they proceed to document everything I had on me – specifically the contents of my wallet. They spoke no English, so after 45min of arguing, shouting and requesting help from locals walking past, I was short of 5,000 Kazak (AUD$60).

The first statement of my belongings had 20,000 Kazak, the second one had 15,000 Kazak and I had a statement from the bank that I withdrew 20,000 kazak from the bank 5 minutes before they pulled me up – they were stupid!!

They would only flash their badges so I could not write the details down so I tried to take a photo of them. I was unsuccessful and we wrestled for 5 min in the street, I then showed I had not taken a photo. They left into the park, I asked for help from locals, no one would stop. I ran back to the hotel and we rang the police to report the robbery. I described the 4 guys to the Captain, they found them and I got my money back.

I don’t care about the money but its the principle – if you can’t trust the police, the whole society falls down. I have discovered I can be pretty fiery, I gave back as good as I got and was not going to be intimidated.

3 comments:

  1. Geez Benny, you be careful now. Principles are great but being out of jail or trouble is just as good! Maybe a little less arguing and more of the following up with the police chiefs is the way forward?
    Keep up the good fight,

    jase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely agree with Jase here, Benny.

    It's good to fight back and it seems you have been quite succcessful at times, but you're also very prone at the moment.

    The call to the police worked and I think you need to maybe play their game a bit more tactically. I'm starting to get a bit worried for you, buddy.

    Take care Benny.

    Yao

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, what happened to your bike in Kyrgyzstan? How did you fix your bike or temporarily get it working?

    ReplyDelete