Monday, August 31, 2009

Bloody Idiots

Bloody Idiots is the only way to describe the driving in Iran. In Beirut and other Middle Eastern countries the road rules are ignored and people move through intersections, footpaths, one way streets observing others and avoiding other motorists. The difference in Iran is the aggressiveness and speed at which people drive. According to the Lonely Planet, Iran has the highest road deaths per capita in the world.

After three weeks I have seen 9 cars and 4 trucks overturned freeways about 30 min before I arrive and I have lost count the number of times I have been pushed off the road due to on coming traffic over taking on a two way road. On highways drivers will sit within two meters of the back of you, push into any gap and overtake on any side, including the shoulder of the road - all this at above 110 km/h. At 120 km/h two cars of generous Iranians have tried to pass me a bag of bread and a can of Juice - moving up next to me with arms out of the window,....don't they realise that on a bike if its not tied down its blown away at 120 km/h), there's no where to put it and I am concentrating on driving on the freeway!!!

They love taking photos while driving on the freeway, so they come right up behind the bike, push me over to the right lane, take a photo, then move in front of me and slow down. I then have to overtake them whereby they speed up to take more photos - so frustrating!!!

Never before have I been nervous about crossing roads or riding in a taxi but in Tehran intersections scare me. Once again, the difference to Beirut is the speed at which they drive to cross the intersection and the 'no care' of other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment