Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Celebrity in Syria

I now have a good idea of the life of a celebrity. Off the tourist route in Turkey everyone has been staring at me and the kids smile, wave and love to say 'Hello'. In Syria my popularity has rocketed to the top. Without the bike, everyone looks, say 'Welcome' and want to talk. With the bike I have no freedom:

- Can't eat lunch without locals surrounding me to talk.
- Can't stop on the side of the road without someone stopping to help.
- If I do stop to talk, you end up spending a couple of hours doing sign language.
- At Petrol stations I have been drinking tea.
- Yesterday after getting directions, I went to the local bike mechanic, the garage filled with about 20 locals after we arrived.
- Last night, a shop owner I meet earlier, chased me to talk and request I visit his shop tomorrow.

This is outside the big cities and the people are so generous, friendly and helpful... its hard to describe and to say no. Its amazing and a great experience but you do tire of the same conversations.

No comments:

Post a Comment