Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Lebanon - cool place!

We have all heard Beirut is the Paris of the Middle East. I expected a few bars, clubs and restaurants but there are heaps with style and character. I now realise how much I miss living in a city and the quality of good music, wine, food and the social aspect of drinking with people - I have had a few beers by myself!!

I met 6 Lebanese Aussies in one day, all on holiday for 2 to 3 months. In the 50s and 60s half a million Lebanese migrated to Australia and now with their descendants there are 2 million (facts from Lebanese Aussies). I was walking with a mate in the mountains and they went out of their way to help - 2 lifts in their car, shouted beers and would not stop talking about Australia and Lebanon.

Lebanon has heaps too do, walking and skiing in the mountains, partying in Beirut, wine tasting in the Bekaa Valley and swimming/lazing around in a Beirut beach clubs. I'll be back!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ben, Hayley and Shaun here (who you met in Petra! from Canada)...checked out the blog and it is amazing! We did a post http://delilahandjack.blogspot.com/2009/07/slow-ride-home.html
    if you want to check it out... we will be sure to continue to read about your journey as ours winds down to a close....it is awesome!!!!

    Safe travels in Iran!

    -D + J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big city boy you. Get back out on the open road by yourself would you!!!
    Good to hear your having fun.
    I've got to give you a call soon, I hope your in range somewhere. jase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always good to read the excitement in your blogs when you have good people around you. Keep up the good work, Benny.

    ReplyDelete