Sunday, September 13, 2009

Iran - my thoughts

I thought Iran would be an interesting experience due to the news coverage over the last 5 years, nuclear issue, Iraq and Afghan wars and the recent demonstrations. I spent 3 weeks travelling about 5,000 kms from North to South and out to the east - it’s a big place. It is a place that is hard to describe and generalize. I have had some fantastic experiences with generous and engaging people but also experienced rude, hostile and unwelcoming people, which is the minority and first time on my trip.

The first city I arrived at a motorist yelled out his window, "Iran is good, we are not all terrorists". I am aware of the propaganda from Western Governments and this made me think the anti-western propaganda will be high from the Iran regime. I don't like to use the word 'regime’ because it’s used too much by the US government but learning much more about the political system, people, history and discontent of the people, the word sums up the ruling clerics.

Iran was used and abused by Russian and Western governments during the 19th and 20th century and the distrust still helps the regime communicate anti-western propaganda (see my photos). Talking to the people on the street they stated a wide view of thoughts from the government does not understand what the people want, to Iran is like living in a jail. On the Tehran metro people loved to talk and one guy almost in tears described how hard it is living in Iran. There was no apparent caution about speaking in public, which I was surprised about.

To generalise, (its easy to do), there are the minority who support the regime and don't want westerners to visit and there is the majority that want a constitutional change to a secular government and democratically elected government. Iran is the first country I have been asked about immigration, from wanting to learn English by talking to me, questions on how to move to Australia or telling me the immigration paperwork or company transfer is in progress. Iran has a lot to offer the Middle East and the world but I believe a secular state and democracy is required first.

No comments:

Post a Comment