Friday, August 6, 2010

Thai Islands are suffocating

The only way to describe the islands is the way I saw them… ‘They are oversubscribed and the locals don’t care about their environment!!’. I dived at the premier dive island, Ko Tao, great fish but the coral is dead or dying and way too many people around to let it re-grow. Next, on a tourist tour of the islands around Krabi, the boat dropped the anchor on the coral while the tourists swam around fish eating bread thrown from the tour staff.

I spoke to the tour leader about the coral destruction from the boat anchor when we were on onshore… his reply was ‘The boat captain is in charge of that, I can’t help’. The boat captain did not speak English, so later I went to the national park headquarters to make a compliant, no one spoke English. This is a continuing theme in developing countries.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Benny - just catching up on your blog again. It's very interesting. You will have an immense knowledge of the whole world when you get to Oz again.

    I'm off to Syria & Lebanon next month for few weeks - I told you I'd make it there, just a shame I missed you by roughly a year! I was pleased you titled your Lebanon blog entry "Lebanon - cool place"!

    Hope it's all still good on the road. You epic adventurer, you.

    Cheers - Jake

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jake, make the effort to get to Balbeck, Hizbollah country and amazing ruins.

    ReplyDelete