Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sumatra – Island of Gold

In ancient times Sumatra was known by the Sanskrit names of Swarnadwīpa (Island of Gold) and Swarnabhūmi (Land of Gold), due to the gold deposits of the island's highland. I think this description is also relevant to describe travelling in Sumatra.

Sumatra is the greenest place I have ever visited, from the rice fields to the coffee plantations, rainforests in the mountains and argiculture rich land around Lake Toba in the middle of Sumatra. With very little tourists, a language barrier and narrow windy rough roads, I felt like I was on an adventure again. I chilled out on Lake Toba, relaxed on the island of Pulau Weh, I climbed to the highest point on Sumatra, the 3,800m volcano Kerinci and hanged out with a local classic Vespa club in Bukittinggi. The Sumatrans are friendly, generous and a happy bunch of people.

1,000 years on, Sumatra can still be described as an island of gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment